Atelier Meštrović is for some the most significant and prestigious museum in Zagreb. An art museum with a permanent exhibition of Ivan Meštrović works of art.
TIP: INFLUENCED BY RODIN, IVAN MEŠTROVIĆ WAS THE FIRST CROATIAN ARTIST TO EXHIBIT AT THE VICTORIA & ALBERT MUSEUM IN LONDON (1915) AND AT THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART IN NEW YORK (1947).
Atelier Meštrović is a former family house and studio of Ivan Meštrović. Today it is an art museum with a permanent display of his work. During adaptation, they strived to preserve the original look and atmosphere of the artist’s home.
Ivan Meštrović was one of the most prominent Croatian artists. A sculptor, painter, architect and writer.
Atelier Meštrović holds an excellent collection of around 100 beautiful works of art from his life. Such as sculptures and reliefs in wood, stone, bronze and plaster. Also, drawings and graphics exhibited in all parts of the museum.
Atelier Meštrović exhibits
- Women in Agony (1928), Bronze Sculpture
- Thinking mother (1930), Marble Sculpture
- Emperor Amor and Psyche (1918), created in Paris
- Mother and Child (1942), Wood Sculpture
- Women near the Sea (1926), Marble Sculpture
- Moses and the Girl with the lute (1918), created in Rome
- Lady with child (1917), created in Cannes
- Man Writing (1925), Bronze Sculpture
- History of the Croats (1932), Bronze Sculpture
- And many more.
Atelier Meštrović Zagreb Women in Agony Photo by Ivan Pavic
Ivan Meštrović world renown sculptures
- Well of Life, in front of Croatian National Theatre, Zagreb
- The Bowman and The Spearman, Chicago’s Grant Park
- Martin Kukučín, Bratislava
- History of the Croats, University of Zagreb
- Monument of Gratitude to France, Belgrade
- Immigrant Mother, Cathedral Square Park, Milwaukee
- Gregory of Nin, Split
- Pieta, Basilica of the Sacred Heart, Notre Dame
- Moses, Syracuse University
Atelier Meštrović opening times
Tuesday – Friday 10:00-18:00
Saturday – Sunday 10:00-14:00
Closed on Monday and during holidays.
Atelier Meštrović ticket prices
Adults – 30 HRK
Students and Seniors – 15 HRK
Family ticket*: 50 HRK
* valid for 2 adults and children under 15
Guided Tour – 200 HRK
Curator Tour – 500 HRK
Needs to be booked in advance.
What can you see and do at Atelier Meštrović?
In the first place, you will get to see outstanding art collection by Ivan Meštrović.
Atelier Meštrović holds a stunning and overwhelming collection of around 100 beautiful works of art from his life.
The museum is not large. It consists of 4 parts which can be explored within an hour.
At the museum store, you can purchase exhibition catalogue, books, posters, postcards and souvenirs inspired by Meštrović and his art.
How to get to Atelier Meštrović?
Located in the historical centre of Zagreb, the Upper Town, near St Mark’s church.
Accessible on foot from Zagreb ban Jelačić square. You can walk through the Stone Gate or take the shortest funicular ride.
The museum doesn’t stand out, so you might miss it. It is by the konoba Didov San.
Taxi or UBER is always an option.
- Eko Taxi, tel:+3851 1414 (charge 2,49 kn/call) or download app [Apple], [Google],
- Taxi Cammeo, tel:+3851 1212 (charge 2,50 kn/call) or download app [Apple], [Google],
- Radio Taxi, tel:+3851 1717 (charge 2,50 kn/call) or download app [Apple], [Google],
- UBER, Get UBER or download app [Apple], [Google], [Microsoft]